New regulations on State Pension in Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland regulations on State Pension for people reaching pensionable age on or after 6 April 2016 came into force on 25 February.
The regulations bring into force provisions of the Pensions Act (Northern Ireland) 2015 which cover:
- setting the full rate of the new State Pension ;
- how to calculate the extra new State Pension a person may receive if they delay claiming, or choose to suspend, their new State Pension ;
- inheritance of graduated retirement benefit as part of a person’s new State Pension ;
- the circumstances in which a person who is an overseas resident is not entitled to up-rating increases of their new State Pension ;
- national insurance credits in the new State Pension system.
See SR.No.68/2016: Pensions (2015 Act) (Commencement No. 3) Order (Northern Ireland) 2016.
On 1 March, the new rate was set at £155.65 per week, starting 6 April 2016. See: The State Pension (Amendment No. 2) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2016
With thanks to RightsNet for help with compiling this information.