Law Centre (NI) hosts WCA review hearing
Today, Law Centre (NI) hosted a Northern Ireland hearing by Dr Litchfield, who is heading a UK-wide independent review of the Work Capability Assessment.
The meeting heard useful evidence from representatives of the voluntary advice sector, including Newry CAB, Magherafelt District Advice Service, Mencap, Advice NI, Citywide Tribunal Service, North Belfast Advice Partnership, Disability Action, East Belfast Independent Advice Centre, STEP NI, Citizens Advice NI and Macmillan CAB, and a Belfast Health and Social Care Trust representative.
Issues highlighted included:
- the need to improve the application form completed by claimants
- translation of ESA materials into other languages
- greater assistance for young people placed in the support group
- greater awareness of learning disability among those conducting the WCA
- ability to audio-record the assessment in the same way as available in Britain
This is the last year of the review and Dr Litchfield will present his final report to government in the next few months.